What makes a superfood, super?
Well the answer is pretty simple: superfoods offer greater nutritional value and benefit than regular foods, which makes them SUPER, get it?
So, before you write it off as the new buzz word or trend, know that superfoods are here to stay because the health of western society has long been compromised by poor nutrition, the root cause of many avoidable illnesses.
In this article, we'll share 3 recipes from our Superfood Powder Recipe Book and take a closer look at the stars of our superfood powder recipes - the superfoods: Ashwagandha, Spirulina, and Wheatgrass. With the help of whole foods & plant nutrition we can make the world a healthier place one plate at a time!
Ashwagandha Carrot Ginger Leek Soup
- 1/4 cup of Ashwagandha Powder
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 tbsp himalayan salt
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 cups chopped leeks (white part)
- 2 cups chopped sweet potato
- 2 tbsp chopped ginger
- 2 cups low sodium veggie broth
- 1 can of low fat coconut milk
- chopped green onions
- chopped cilantro
- Heat 1 tbsp water in a large soup pot with olive oil then sauté carrots and leeks over medium heat for 10 mins.
- Add sweet potato, cover and cook for 10 mins then add ginger, pepper, salt, and broth. Bring to a simmer and stir in the ashwagandha powder. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 mins or till veggies are soft.
- Let cool then add to blender or food processor. Blend until smooth then add the mixture back into your soup pot. Stir in canned coconut milk over low heat.
- Serve into 4 bowls with chopped cilantro and green onion.
More on Ashwagandha
Ashwagandha, also known as winter cherry, is an “adaptogen”, meaning that it helps the body manage stress. This ancient medicinal herb has been used for over 3,000 years over 3,000 years to relieve stress, increase energy levels and improve concentration.
Chocolate Wheatgrass Donuts
- 1 & 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2-1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp (1 serving) of Wheatgrass Powder
- 1 handful of Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips (optional)
- 2/3 cup plant milk of your choice
- 1 egg (using Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer)
- 2 tbsp melted vegan butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 375F and lightly grease your donut pan (I used coconut oil)
- Prepare your egg replacer at this time.
- In a large bowl combine flour, coconut sugar, cornstarch, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, wheatgrass powder & chocolate chips.
- In a separate bowl combine the plant milk, melted butter, vanilla, and egg replacer.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients slowly, until well combined. If the batter is dry add a tiny bit more plant milk as needed.
- Transfer the batter to a zip log bag & clip the corner, or use a traditional piping bag.
- Fill the cavities about 2/3 full.
- Place in the oven for about 11-12 minutes!
- Remove from the oven and let cool for about 5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack.
More on Wheatgrass
Neurogan's pure wheatgrass powder is USDA organic certified and loaded with all nine essential amino acids designed to help support a normal inflammatory response, proper digestion, and weight loss. One of the best sources of living chlorophyll available, the plant’s natural green pigment plays a role in maintaining physical and mental well-being.
Ashwagandha Vanilla Cupcakes
Ingredients (for the Base)
- 2 c Gluten Free Pastry Flour
- 1/2 c coconut flour
- 1 1/2 c coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp Ashwagandha Powder
- 1/2 c coconut oil melted
- 1 1/2 c oat milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract or 1 tsp vanilla powder
Ingredients (for Coconut Whipped Cream Topping)
- two cans of full fat coconut milk (refrigerated)
- 4 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- natural powders to dye whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat your over to 350F and fill cupcake pans with cupcake liners. Optional to spray the liners with coconut oil.
- In a mixer with paddle attachment, add ingredients by order in which they appear on this post.
- Mix together until the texture is pretty thin and smooth, pour into cupcake molds.
- Bake cupcakes for about 18-20 minutes or until fairly firm in the centers.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool for 30 minutes before adding the coconut whipped cream to the tops.
- For the coconut whipped cream, place your clean mixing bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Add your refrigerated coconut milk (only the firm contents of the can, not the liquid) to the chilled mixing bowl.
- In a standing mixer, whisk the coconut milk until light and fluffy (1 minute) and then slowly add the maple syrup and vanilla.
- If you are using food coloring, I recommend natural powders as they help keep the whipped cream stay as light and fluffy as possible.
- Start mixing different colors in separate bowls and then fill pastry bags with different piping tips to achieve those glorious swirls on the cupcakes. I used Wilton piping tips, 8B, 4B, and 2D.
- Top your cupcakes with edible flowers to add a summer-time vibe.
What are the Health Benefits of Ashwagandha?
- Helps to keep you calm and relaxed
- Supports the immune system
- Supports adrenal gland function
Enjoy Our Superfood Powder Recipes
By sneaking superfood powder into your daily recipes, you can maximize nutrient content while nourishing your body. A special thanks to our superfood recipe contributors: Nourish With Natalia, Nutmeg & Honeybee, and Eat Natural with Nat.
Check out our custom-made Superfood Powder Recipe Book by entering your information into the pop-up on this article. Each download comes complete with 7 recipes curated by our team and faithful #Neurogang:
- Ashwagandha Carrot Ginger Leek Soup
- Strawberry + Kiwi Raw Spirulina Cakes
- Mango + Ashwagandha Mini Raw Cheesecake
- Vanilla Coconut Cupcakes with Ashwagandha
- Chocolate Wheatgrass Donuts
- Ashwagandha Buttercream Cookies
- Post-Workout Green Smoothie
Please reach out to us if you have any further questions and we'll be happy to speak with you.